Business Innovation Group (BIG)
College of Business Administration

New Challenges for Advisory Council Members

During December 2010 and January 2011 a number of our Advisory Council members have taken up new challenges.  We’d like to celebrate their successes and achievements.

Peggy Chapman

In December 2010 Peggy Chapman retired as the Chamber President and Executive Director of the Development Authority of Bulloch County.  These are roles she has been exceling at for 20 years.  Her retirement letter to the Chamber says about her time here in Statesboro “…I wish that I could reach out and touch each of you and thank you for what you have meant to me.  It’s really very hard to believe that it’s been 20 years since I made that long trip from Cairo, Georgia to meet with people who would change me and my life forever. I thank you for allowing me to fulfill my dreams of creating a productive and progressive Chamber of Commerce and one of the best development authorities in the entire state. You have allowed me to use all of my right brain and supported many ideas that to some may have seemed foolish.  You have supported my dreams of having a community that truly works together for the benefit of all”.  Her next challenge is to be a ‘super grandmother’ and she will be staying in Statesboro and contributing to our community.  Peggy – thank you for your support of the Center for Entrepreneurial Learning and Leadership.

Benjy Thompson

Also in December Dr. Benjy Thompson the Vice-President of Economic Development at Ogeechee Technical College was named as the new CEO of the Development Authority of Bulloch County and the Statesboro-Bulloch Chamber of Commerce.  Benjy will continue to sit on the Advisory Council of the Center for Entrepreneurial Learning and Leadership and the Center will continue to work closely with the Chamber.  Click here for the Statesboro Herald article on the appointments and future strategy of the Chamber and Development Authority of Bulloch County (only available for Statesboro Herald subscribers).  Congratulations Benjy and good luck.

Lori Durden

Meanwhile in January Georgia Southern University’s Small Business Development Center’s director Lori Durden was named as the new Vice President for Economic Development at Ogeechee Technical College.  Dean Shiffler announced the appointment on Friday in his Dean’s update stating that “Lori Durden, area director of our Small Business Development Center, has recently accepted an offer from Ogeechee Technical College to become vice president for economic development.  She will be leaving COBA and Georgia Southern in a couple of weeks.  On Friday, January 14, from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. we will have a “drop in” reception at the SBDC office in the Market District to thank Lori for her leadership.  Please stop by for sandwiches and snacks to wish Lori the best in her new position.”  Lori will also stay involved with the Advisory Council of the Center and no doubt Georgia Southern will soon be looking for a new director; our Center will continue to work closely with the SBDC.  Congratulations Lori and good luck with the new role.  

Posted in Guest Speakers

Tags: , , , , , ,

Business Innovation Group • PO Box 8153-01 Statesboro, GA 30460 • 912-478-0872 • citycampus@georgiasouthern.edu